So this is one of the things I wrote down in my "list" leading up to getting the internet...when I was researching violins and teachers I called around to a lot of places to see what their hours were and what kind of stuff they had so I wouldn't waste my time going there. I should also preface this with the fact that lately I have become a champ at calling businesses and asking what their hours are then saying, Thanks! and hanging up. Usually it goes off without a hitch.
Well I found one place in Google that was specifically a violin shop, Horst's Violin Shop, so I called...They answered the phone and I said "Hi, I was just wondering what your hours are."
The guy, Horst apparently, says, "Well I'm here right now, when do you want to come in?"
Me, "Uh, I'm not sure when I can come in I was just wondering if you had general hours."
"Well, let me know and I'll be here. Why do you want to know?"
"I'm just kind of researching violin places."
"Why, what's your problem?"
"I don't really have a problem, I just don't know much about violins."
"Well what are you bringing in, I'll tell you right now if I can help you."
"Uhhh...I don't have a violin yet."
"Well, talk to my wife I don't know why you're calling."
Evidently, this is a violin repair shop, not like a 'we sell violins & violin accessories' shop. But it doesn't say that in the name...it just says violin shop...how am I supposed to know that?
(I just took a break to go in and put sunscreen on as the sun is encroaching on the balcony...in cased you were wonderinug...btw Aveeno Continuous Protection SunblockSpray has quite a pleasant scent)
So that's strange enough in itself...but a few weeks later after I had found a teacher and a violin and everything I needed to buy a specific book for my lessons. My teacher had told me that he knew Memphis-Ridge Music usually kept it in stock and recommended I call them...
So I call and ask my usual "Hi, what are your hours?"
Another old guy on the phone "Why, what do you need?"
Now anywhere I've ever worked if I dared to say "Why" when a customer asked for basic information I would get bitch slapped into next week...I'm like Really? are you kidding me? So I told him what I was looking for and he goes... "OK we have that, what day is it, Thursday, I guess I'll probably be open until 8 then."
So I say, "OK, will you for sure be there because I get off work at 7 so I can't get there until about quarter after."
"Yeah probably, but if not come back tomorrow."
"OK Thanks!"
So I went and luckily he was still there and they had it and it was all good...end of story.
Wednesday, May 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment